Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving

Today is a day to give thanks, and I could go on forever about all the things I am thankful for, but since I know a turkey is in the oven and I don't have a whole lot of time, I'm forced to limit my list.

First off, I need to give thanks for my wife Dawn, and all she has tolerated this past year. From holding my tray in the hospital when I was puking so I didn't make a mess of the lovely gown they provided me with, making sure I eat all the right things and continue to improve my health, to making sure that I'm happy. Thanks Dawn.

I give thanks to my daughters Brittney and Brianna for being there to make me smile and a proud father with all they've accomplished and continue to accomplish. The happiness that they have brought into my life is immeasurable. I give thanks for my son-in-law Curt, as he is on the other side of the world in Australia playing his music and spreading the good news about Jesus to those on the other side of the world. I'm so proud of how he is using his gifts that he has been blessed with.

While I am thankful of family, friends and a good job, this year I have to give thanks for all those that have helped me as my health returns. Dr. Willekes, Dr. Foster and the entire Cardiac Rehab staff from Spectrum Hospital at the Blodgett campus. Fortunately there was a fun run this morning in East Grand Rapids where I could run with others and see how far I've come. So I ran in the first ever "Gobble Wobble", 4.2 miles around Reed's Lake. I made it the entire way, and my girls were there waiting for me at the finish line 41 minutes and 25 seconds or so after I started. I started out well running the first mile in 8:44, but I slowed down after that (it must have been the hills)with the last mile (from the 3 mile mark to the 4 mile mark) taking me 10:14. But those of you familiar with Reed's Lake, you know how hilly it is, I'm not trying to make up excuses but... None the less, I did the run, something I couldn't have accomplished these past two years had it not been for a lot of help and encouragement from more people than I can imagine. So thanks to all those who encouraged me and those who pushed me to get back into shape.

And most importantly, I have to give thanks to my God. Without him, none of this would have been possible, He has blessed me more than I deserve. He has answered my prayers and surrounded me with family and friends who helped make this all possible. I can't think of anyone who should be blessed the way I have been. It is humbling knowing that he is looking out for me and wants what is best for me, even though I have failed so many times along the way, but He still loves me and watches over me despite it all.

I hope your Thanksgiving is a joyous day, and you take the time to count your blessings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so thankful that you are better now Daddy!! I love you sooo much and I don't know what I would do without you!!! Love you bigger than the whole wide world!!