Saturday, September 13, 2008

Four Week Update

I should have posted this on Thursday, but I wanted to wait until I had a little more information,
It has been a busy week, Monday I went to a lab to give some blood to be tested, Wednesday I went down to Blodgett to get the information I needed for my cardiac rehab, Thursday I went to Dr. Foster's office to have a an echocardiography done, and then on Friday I met with Dr. Foster to discuss the results of my blood tests and the echocardiography. So it was a busy week with medical stuff.

While it would be nice if they told me that things are perfect, truth is that they are much better, but not perfect. I still have some regurgitation, but it is no longer classified as severe, but mild to moderate. Instead of leaking at multiple points, I now have one jet (one point) that is leaking. I meet with Dr. Willekes next week, I'll have to see what he says about the severity of the regurgitation. Speaking of things not being perfect, the blood work showed that my cholesterol is a little high, where it is ideal to have it under 200, mine was 208, and according to American Heart Association, 200 - 239 is Borderline - High Risk. My HDL (good) cholesterol isn't too bad, it was 47, and the average for men is 40 to 50, with the higher the number the better. My LDL (bad) cholesterol is 139, under 100 is Optimal, then it goes to 100 - 129 Near Optimal/ Above Optimal, 130 - 159 is Borderline High, 160 - 189 is High and over 190 is Very High. My Triglyceride Level is 111, and under 150 is Normal. On Monday I go back to Blodgett as part of my cardiac rehab to learn what I should be eating in order to benefit my heart. This is an all day class, from 9 until 3. So between being educated on my eating habits, and the prescription from Dr. Foster, my cholesterol levels should return to the levels they need to be at.

After I meet with Dr. Willekes on Tuesday, if I get his okay, they want me to start my rehab on Wednesday, with the goal of me being able to return to running races if I so desire to do so. They took me down to the facility so I could see the equipment I will be using, and while I did notice the treadmills, stationary bikes and a few other things, the one thing that I really noticed, is that no one in the room was near my age. I think I'll need to dye my hair grey so I fit in with the cardiac rehab crowd.

I'll see what Dr. Willekes says about my infection as the one incision continues to ooze a bit. They want me to leave it exposed as much as possible, so if I don't have a nice shirt on, I do so that it dries out. Unfortunately just when I think it is healing, I some how manage to open the wound. Poor Dawn has had to wash our sheets more than she should because I've managed to get gunk on them. I think I'll just cover it up with gauze every night in an attempt to keep the sheets a little cleaner.

Four weeks after my surgery, I am doing much better. I can shower and wash my incisions without Dawn's help, I'm sure she's glad for that. I feel that I'm getting plenty of exercise, but they tell me that I need to set aside some time each day for exercise, and walking Buddy doesn't count. Dawn took me out for a walk this week, and I was able to keep up with her brisk pace and still manage to hold a conversation with her while we were walking, so that was encouraging. I joined my lunch group from Meijer for lunch on Tuesday, and went to the office afterwards to say "Hi" to a few people, and I ended up being there for almost three hours. It was good to see everyone, but i didn't get my afternoon nap because I stayed there too long. It won't be long until I get back there working, and to be honest, I'm actually looking forward to being there.

To those that are wondering, my garden is doing just fine, if anyone wants some tomatoes, let me know, we've got plenty. And no, I have not started watching any soap operas yet, and I don't plan on doing so. If the weather cooperates, I may try riding my unicycle and see if I can't figure that out before I go back to work. Right now, the date that they set for my return to work is October 4 which is a Saturday, go figure. Dawn has Friday and Monday off from work the weekend I'm scheduled to return, so I may take Monday October 6 off and start up on Tuesday instead, we'll have to wait and see.

No comments: