Thursday, September 25, 2008

Week Six Update!!!

Back from an attempt at jogging, sweaty but glad I did it.

Today it has been six weeks since I had my surgery, and what a day it has been. I went to my last doctor visit for a while I hope. Today it was Dr. Kirk Agerson, he's my general practitioner doctor, and the one I went to see because my legs were swollen and he told me I had a heart issue, that was about two years and four months ago. Somehow my records were sent with another patient's information, they showed I was admitted to the hospital through the emergency room, the records state that I am an 87 year old that passed out while mowing the grass and needed to be resuscitated. So my doctor was a little confused, wondering if they just typed my age incorrectly. After getting the correct information on me, he gave me a quick check up, and was impressed. He can no longer hear my murmur, and was able to tell from the information the cardiac rehab sent along that I'm pushing myself at rehab. Apparently with the meds I'm on, I shouldn't be able to increase my heart rate like I am at rehab unless I'm pushing it. At least someone is noticing my hard work!


After my doctor's visit I went to my parent's house and cut their grass for them. When I got home, I felt the need to do something special since it has been six weeks since the surgery. So I decided to try to jog a little bit. So six weeks give or take an hour from when they completed my surgery I headed out for a jog. It took a little while to get my breathing so it was comfortable, I thought it would be natural, but it felt a little weird. Anyway, I was able to make it about 3/4 of a mile until I hit a stop light, but boy did that rest feel great, and the light did not stay green long enough and I needed to get going again. I decided that I shouldn't push it too much because it was so hot outside (that's my excuse) so I would jog until I started getting tired, then I walked until I caught my breath, and jog again. I went about 2 1/2 miles. While my incision was uncomfortable when I ran, it didn't hurt enough for me to stop. It just felt so good to be able to jog again, now I'll have to see what they decide to do with me in rehab.

Isaiah 40:31 but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
This verse has taken on a new meaning for me now!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the updates, John! Glad to hear you're doing so well and thinking of you!
Try to enjoy your "vacation" while it lasts! :)
Heather