Monday, August 25, 2008

Monday Morning Update

I just thought I'd send out a quick update so people can tell how well I'm actually doing.

Dawn has taken me out to the garden a couple of times now, the first visit wasn't nearly as long as the second visit was, but it was very therapeutic. The second time we went out there, I set up my camp stool (wooden frame w/canvas seat type) to pick some peas. Things were going along just fine until one of the legs from the stool sunk into the dirt forcing it to spread further than it is designed to. Needless to say the canvas ripped and I ended up with my rear end on the ground. We ended up picking more jalapeno and banana peppers, better boy, roma and cherry tomatoes, beans and peas from our garden. I went over to Cramer's garden, and his "Italian Ice" tomatoes are getting ripe already, so I did swipe a couple of those. Once I'm getting around by myself and my "Italian Ice" tomatoes are ripe, if you know I'm going to be seeing you and you like cherry tomatoes, ask me to bring some along. These are about the size of a ping pong ball, yellowish white in color, and sweeter than your average tomato. I ordered these specifically from Burpee and grew them from seed, so they are my prize possession out of the garden this year. Next time I'm out there I may take a few pictures, but right now there are too many weeds for me to be proud of my garden.

Dawn brought me out on Thursay to join her Mom and brother Dave for lunch.

Other accomplishments include Dawn taking me to see the movie "Swing Vote" Friday night.

I've taken Buddy (my dog) on three walks all by myself now (Dawn does make me take the phone along just in case), the longest one being almost a mile long.

Went to an open house in honor of my neighbor Jean's 80th birthday on Saturday. It was perhaps a mile from our house, so Dawn let me drive home from there. I did hear about if when I turned left on a side street but failed to use my turn signal.

Sunday was a busy day, perhaps too busy, I'll have to wait to see how I feel today to be sure. I walked Buddy both in the morning and again in the evening. Went to church Sunday morning and walked up a couple of flights of stairs to the studio there instead of taking the elevator. We went to Dawn's Mom's house after church and I'm glad we did. Our nephew Ryan is heading to Toronto with his girlfriend Olga, so they stopped by before they headed east. Then we went to the garden and later on I walked up to the neighborhood grocery store to pick up a couple of things so we could have garlic, spinach pizza for supper. We like it, but because I'm not suppose to have too much of foods high in vitamin K because of one of the pills I'm on, Dawn had to skimp on the spinach on half the pizza. Then I took Buddy for a longer walk last evening (close to a mile) since the weather was a little cooler (I'm not suppose to be out walking if it is over 80). All these screwy rules they expect me to remember.

My weight has maintained or dropped each day (yes I have to keep a log of that as well).

I've had a couple of nurses visit me to draw some blood and check my incisions, but I don't think they are going to come back after Saturday's visit. Somehow they had my information screwed up with someone else, and they thought I was home bound, but that fiasco is a blog by itself.



Medically I'm on three pills a day is all. Coumadin which is a blood thinner, Toprol is a beta blocker for chest pain and high blood pressure and 81mg Asprin as a preventive measure. I can take Motrin and Tylenol for pain, but it has been tolerable. I think I've taken 3 Tylenol since I came home last week Wednesday.

I think my chest drainage hole has finally stopped oozing and it is now openly exposed. The rest of my incisions are healing up nicely. I have limited mobility in my right arm, it hurts to extend it over my head, I force it occasionally just because I like pain. Things on my right breast area are taking a while to heal, I tried to jog a couple of steps just to see how it felt, and it didn't feel good at all, as a matter of fact it hurt. So I know there is healing that needs to take place there yet. I'm kind of curious how torn up I am under the skin I am on my right side. I do the breathing thing fairly consistently, I'm suppose to do it every hour, but I don't think I'm that consistent with it.

I'm still not sleeping through the night yet, but now when I get up I'm able to go back a sleep without much trouble. One other thing I've noticed is that I'm starting to get stubbly growth back on my legs, chest, stomach and every where else Clifford shaved me, and it itches...



So that's where I am today, I can't tell if I have more energy yet or not because I have yet to experience what use to be a normal day for me. I definitely feel better than I did last week, and expect to feel even better next week.

No comments: