Thursday, August 28, 2008

Cord Replacement


Someone mentioned to me they really didn't understand about the cord from my valve being replaced, so I'll attempt to explain it a bit. The cords are attached from the mitral valve to the lining of the heart, they work similar to the spring on a screen door, they allow the valve to swing into the lower chamber (Left Ventricle), but stops it from swinging into the upper chamber (Left Atrium). Because my Mitral Valve was prolapsed so severly, my Mitral Valve did swing partially into the upper chamber of my heart, this caused the cords to get stretched out to the point that it was no longer preventing the valve from swinging into the upper chamber. So Dr. Willekes made the decision to cut a cord and replace it with gortex so that the valve would stop at the proper point and hopefully prevent problems down the road.

No comments: